Winter 2018 Newsletter
SEE WHAT’S ROASTING AT MORNINGSTAR COFFEE
COOKING WITH COFFEE: Five-Ingredient Prime Rib Roast
Coffee and prime rib seem like an unlikely pair but Ryan Farr’s recipe reveals they both have an earthy quality that makes them a natural match.
• 1/3 cup finely ground Morningstar Coffee
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 vanilla bean, split, and seeds scraped
• One 12-pound, bone-in prime rib roast (5 bones)
Step 1 – In a bowl, thoroughly blend the coffee with the salt, pepper, and vanilla bean seeds. Set the rib roast in a roasting pan and rub it all over with the coffee mixture, concentrating most of the rub on the fatty part of the meat. Turn the roast bone side down and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Step 2 – Preheat the oven to 450°. Roast the meat for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325° and roast for about 2 1/2 hours longer until an instant-read thermometer registers 125° for medium-rare.
Step 3 – Transfer the roast to a carving board and let rest for 20 minutes. Scrape off any excess coffee rub. Carve the meat in 1/2-inch-thick
slices, serve, and enjoy!
COFFEE TRIVIA: What Country Consumes the Most Coffee?
Finland claims the top spot with their citizens each consuming 26 1/2 pounds of coffee per year. Surprisingly, the United States didn’t even break into the top 20!
FUNDRAISING WITH COFFEE
Is your organization or team looking to raise funds? Partner with Morningstar Coffee and earn up to 100% of your team’s coffee sales!
Give a big round of applause to the Minneapolis United Soccer for the City selling 1,630 bags of Morningstar Coffee for their team!
NOW SERVING MORNINGSTAR COFFEE
- Dean Vlahos did it again with CoV in The Galleria.
- Cassidy Flannery is opening the doors soon to NE Minneapolis at Sonder Shaker.
- Morningstar Coffee is now being served at Michelle’s Coffee Café in Lonsdale, MN. Best wishes to you, Michelle!
- Congratulations to Eli Wollenzien and Deacon Eells on opening the new Red Sauce Rebellion in Excelsior, MN.
Morningstar Coffee is excited to welcome Jamie Malone, a 2017 Top Chef at Food Service News. Jamie has brought fine dining back to South Minneapolis at the Grand Cafe located near Grand Ave S. & W 38th St. Visit the cafe and her imaginative French take on the classics while dining in a chic surrounding. Bravo on your success from Morningstar Coffee!
TECH TALK WITH CHUCK ALSHOUSE: How to Brew a Better Cup of Coffee
There are few things more enticing (or more profitable) than the delicious aroma of freshly brewed coffee. The condition of your coffee brewing equipment can have a big impact too.
If you think about it, by serving a better tasting cup of coffee, you can charge a premium.
Water filtration systems provide two key benefits for your commercial kitchen or restaurant:
- equipment maintenance and breakdown is reduced by as much as 75%
- beverages smell better to your customers (making them order more and telling others about how great they are)
Restaurant equipment that uses water machines like coffee and espresso makers can benefit from a filtered water system because it removes:
- organic matter
Want a better tasting cup of coffee at your restaurant or cafe? Send us a note letting us know!
Don’t miss out on future news. Let us know you want to receive our quarterly newsletter.
Tags: Winter 2018